Much like the hit TV show, The EGX Factor (formerly GeekFest’s Got Talent) is a chance for EGX goers to showcase their talents. We’re looking for acts of all kinds. So, if you sing, dance, play a musical instrument, juggle, tell jokes, yodel, act, do stand-up comedy, or whatever else… we want to see you ON STAGE!
Please note that participating as a contestant will involve up to 2 and a half hours of your time on Sunday afternoon.
Time and place:
The EGX Factor will take place Sunday, May 19th in the Mayborn Science Theater Dome.
- Lineup will start at 1:00 p.m. inside the Dome Theater. Inside, contest staff will check that everyone who’s signed up is there and line you up in show order. There will not be a rehearsal so make sure you are prepared.
- The EGX Factor will start at 1:30 p.m. and end by 3 p.m.
Awards will be announced immediately after all contestants have performed and the judges have tallied the final scores.
Please read and make sure you understand the rules before registering. If you have any questions, you can message us on Facebook or email us at CTC.Geek@ctcd.edu
- Registration for The EGX Factor will ONLY take place onsite. There will be no online registration for this event. Spots are limited and will be first come, first served.
- You may sign up at the Costume Contest Registration Table. Be prepared to describe your act and possibly provide a small demonstration when you sign up.
- You must be at least 13 years old and have a valid wristband showing you’ve paid to attend EGX 2019 on the day of the contest. Children under 13 may compete alongside a parent or guardian.
- All acts must be at least 1 minute long but cannot be longer than 4 minutes.
- Nerdy or Geeky themed acts and costumes are strongly encouraged but are not required to participate.
- While acts of all kinds are encouraged, this event will take place indoors with a performance space of approximately 10 feet by 15 feet so please plan you act accordingly.
- Up to two microphones and an auxiliary audio cord will be provided for sound if you need it.
- If you are using recorded musical accompaniment, your music must be prepared and ready to play on a portable device. It is STRONGLY encouraged that your music be downloaded! Since the wi-fi and internet on campus can sometimes experience connection issues so it is best to have your music saved to your device rather than depend on wireless or 4G during the show.
- There will be NO TOLERANCE of any obscene, offensive content, content containing ANY PROFANITY, reference to illegal drug use, adult themes, or sexual content. Remember, this is a family friendly event. Any acts containing these themes will be stopped and the contestant will be disqualified.
- Prop weapons are allowed on stage if they have been approved by the EGX Weapons Check Table and adhere to the EGX Weapons Policy.
- For safety, any type of martial arts or fight choreography must be performed at half speed. Also, please refrain from any kind of aerial movements like high jumps, leaping, or tumbling.
- Anything brought on stage with you must leave with you. This means all props, instruments, or equipment. No glitter, confetti, silly string, etc. is allowed.
- All judge and staff decisions are final. Any breaking of the rules can lead to disqualification.
Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be given for this event.
There will not be any online registration for this event.
On-site Walk-up Registration
Walk-up registration will be available at the Costume Contest Registration Table in the Upstairs Rotunda of the Planetarium.
Saturday, May 18th from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 19th from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. (space available)