Do you have an awesome costume you want to show off? You should participate in the Epically Geeky Expo (EGX) Costume Contest. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to have fun and show off your skills in sewing, creativity, and craftsmanship.
Please note that participating as a contestant will involve at least 3 hours of your time on Saturday evening. This does not include pre-judging. Details are below, but you can review frequently asked questions here.
Time and place:
The Costume contest will take place Saturday, May 18th in the Mayborn Science Theater Dome.
- Pre-judging times will be assigned at registration. These times are optional and only for the Handmade and Props/Armor categories. Please note that while optional, choosing not to participate may affect your final score.
- Lineup will start at 5:00 p.m. inside the Dome Theater. Inside, contest staff will check that everyone who’s signed up is there, take a photo of you in costume, and line you up in show order.
- The Costume Contest will start at 6:00 p.m.
Awards will be announced immediately after all contestants have walked the stage and the judges have tallied the final scores.
Please read and make sure you understand the rules before registering. If you have any questions, you can message us on Facebook or email us at email@example.com
- You can register online or at the Costume Contest Registration Table to compete in the Costume Contest. However, the number of Contestants is limited so it is highly recommended that you register online or as soon as you get to EGX to reserve a spot in the contest.
- Everyone who registers online will need to check in at the Registration Table when they arrive at EGX by 1:00 P.M. on Saturday, May 18th. Pre-registration will only guarantee your spot in the contest until then. After that, any spots that were held by pre-registered contestants who have not checked in will be offered to walk-up contestants on a first come, first served basis. Pre-registered contestants who check in after the deadline can still register if there are spots still available.
- You must be at least 13 years old and have a valid wristband showing you’ve paid to attend EGX 2019 on the day of the contest. Children under 13 may participate in the Kid’s Costume Contest or compete alongside a parent or guardian in the “Group Cosplay” category.
- You must choose 1 and only 1 category to enter. Please note that the categories have changed slightly this year. The descriptions are listed below but if you are still unsure which one to pick, ask one of the attendants at the Registration Table. They will point you in the right direction. Please note that the judges may move you to a more appropriate category if they see fit. The Categories are:
- Costume Casual: Enter this category if most of your costume was found or purchased. For example, if you made your hat and painted your boots, but you bought your jacket and are wearing a skirt or pants that you already had. Or if someone else made your costume for you.
- Semi-Handmade: This NEW CATEGORY is here to bridge the gap between Costume Casual and Handmade. If at least half your costume was made by you--or if you heavily altered pieces you bought/found, you fit into this category.
- Handmade: You, personally, made just about everything you are wearing from scratch. You might have bought your shoes from Amazon and had help with your wig, but most of your costume was constructed by you.
- Props and Armor: If your costume is made mostly, or entirely, from armor you built yourself, or if you have a really awesome prop you’ve built, this is the category for you. Awesome special effects makeup also works for this category.
- Duos and Groups: This category is for all duos and groups. It doesn’t matter if your costumes were bought, pieced together, or made from scratch.
- Not sure: You’ve read the category descriptions but are still unsure which category to enter and you’ll need help deciding when you check in.
- The "Semi-Handmade," ”Handmade” and “Props and Armor” categories can sign up for a pre-judging time at check-in. Pre-judging has been made optional this year, however, opting out of this time with the judges may affect your overall score.
- Any costume that has received an award (Best in Show, Judges Award, 1st place, etc.) from EGX in the previous 3 years cannot be re-entered into the costume contest in ANY category.
- Costumes must be family friendly. No costume is no costume. Obscene, offensive or overly revealing costumes will not be permitted.
- Props are allowed on stage if they have been approved by the EGX Weapons Check Table and adhere to the EGX Weapons Policy.
- Any items you bring on stage with you must leave the stage with you. This means no confetti, glitter, silly string, etc.
- All judge and staff decisions are final. Any breaking of the rules can lead to disqualification.
Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be given for each of the five categories—Costume Casual, Semi-Handmade, Handmade, Props & Armor, and Duos & Groups.
Additionally, a Judges Choice award and a Best in Show award will be presented.
Pre-Registration will be open online until 11:59 p.m., May 16th.
On-site Walk-up Registration
Walk-up registration will be available at the Costume Contest Registration Table in the Upstairs Rotunda of the Planetarium (Mayborn Science Theater).
Saturday, May 18th from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.